Avatar

Sunday, August 19, 2012

TOOL FIVE: This is a wordle I created based on the school to prison pipeline definition in wikipedia.

I think using this word cloud could help me as a warm-up activity: once students are familiar with a word cloud, I can tell them that this comes from a definition of the school to prison pipeline. It is likely a concept they had not heard of, so based on this graphic, I would want them to predict in a few sentences what they think the concept means. Then we could actually go to the definition to confirm or refute their initial ideas.

I would probably also use create comix after we read a play on zero tolerance to have students come up with editorial cartoons commenting about what they think about school disciplinary policies and the school to prison pipeline. Here's an example I made I could offer them.

No comments:

Post a Comment